How long is fair to give a someone to resolve an issue?
I ordered 7g of supposedly top shelf bud, it arrived 2 days late after paying for NDD , no drama , royal mail are a pain at the minute, benefit of the doubt given.
What I recieved looked nothing like the pictures, I'm pretty sure I was sent the wrong product but I could live with that slight mistake, but the main issue was it had seeds in the buds, which is unacceptable. Paid around $100 for 7g so it wasn't budget weed.
I messaged the vendor 7 days ago to notify them of the issue, and to give them a chance to resolve it. They replied and said they would pass the details onto the main guy and look into this. I messaged them for a follow up but I've had no response. How long should I wait until raising a dispute? Never had an issue on here, I'm surprised as it's a well known vendor and I've spent a decent amount with them over several accounts. Thanks
Good vendors should always keep good comms, but ‘quality’ is subjective and can be tricky for escrow to resolve- especially if the vendor has a good reputation. LB is not Amazon hence returns are not possible but you should clearly suggest to the seller what it is that you want to resolve it. If it’s a fair and reasonable request and it’s refused or ignored then pass it to escrow without further delay and see what they propose. You should also review it accordingly to assist other potential buyers…
Thankyou, I'm more bothered about the lack of coms from them to be honest. If there's an issue that's fine, we all make mistakes, but what you do to try and resolve it says alot. I may just leave it a couple of more days and if it's not resolved just put my money where my mouth is and not order from them again if they don't come back with a solution 👍
30% discount on a no show delivery after waiting weeks
I have to say today I am really disappointed in Pistach. I’ve been waiting on an order sent NDD since the beginning of December. Requested the tracking multiple times to be told he didn’t have it and then he went on his holidays. I gave him the benefit of the doubt and allowed the time to lapse on being able to raise a dispute. Today he’s offered a measly 30% off a next order (something he has previously offered me on another order and never honoured). I regularly order from this guy, so lacing an order pretty much weekly so I’m feeling super let down. Anyone else hoping they get their issue resolved, be prepared for a major late down.
Always dispute failed orders, it’s easy to cancel the dispute when things are sorted. Leaving it a long time like you did puts all the power in the vendors hands as they have the escrow release The dispute stops them getting your coin and means a solution must be found
I used to buy from Pistach all the time, but time after time parcels just dont turn up, and when I ask for the tracking number I get a "Re-ship" instead of the original tracking number , so I'm confident it's not even been sent to begin with.
When you're paying extra for NDD and it doesn't even get sent, it's not a good look. My last NDD took 14days from them after a "Re-ship," as my first parcel "got lost internally" 🤷♂️
It's a shame as their quality to price ratio is excellent, but it appears they've became too busy and don't seem to keep on top of coms or orders anymore. I personally know 4 people who have stopped using him for this reason , so it's not just a one off, there's something that needs ironing out imo
Hey there ! Not sure if this is any help but Pistachio has gone away from the start of December and will be back very soon next few days I believe they have not done it purposely ! They are just inactive at the moment you will get your order when they are back don’t worry :)